Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Black and white- Wow missed that...

I was use to the old days of using channel mixer to convert my stuff to black and white and have been somewhat resistant and apprehensive to use the new Black and White... adjustment layer because it looked big and scary.

A couple of tricks with channel mixer first because it still does do the job.
When I am deciding on black and white I always go to the channels palette and look over each channel see to see which one looks the best and the worst





After looking at each channel I would open up Channel mixer adjustment layer and put in the amounts accordingly (total 100 or it will change exposure.) Don't forget to turn check the box for Monochrome.
for example:

Most of time I mask together multiple different black and whites using channel mixer to make a perfect black and white...

But what if it was easier.( thank god for CS3)

So I finally starting playing with the Black and white... adjustment layer. The last few months I have been using the presets and just using the one that looks the best. BUT then I'm not the one controlling the look or being an artist and always would turn back to Channel mixer until....

I happened to move my mouse on the image and noticed that it change to an eye dropper, SO being a curious photoshop user, I click and saw that it turned into a slider hand. I moved it back and forth and noticed that it would change the area of the image I clicked on (most of the time). I can't always get it perfect with one adjustment layer but I can get it closer and usually can do it in 2 Adjustment layers and mask appropriately.

©2008 Weinrauch Photography llc


Give it a try. Its amazing how powerful it is. If you have any questions email me!

No comments: