Saturday, March 21, 2009

parent folders in Lightroom....

Lightroom is a great way to keep all your photos organized.
But the downfall of Lightroom doing such a good is that it can become very disorganized! VERY!

So today I was importing some photos of a headshot from this weekend and realized I imported it in such a way that it screwed up my "flow."

The way I organize:
I keep my main catalog simple; 4 main folders and then have sub-folders inside of that for different jobs. This way my folder tree stays simple and I can expand just the folder(s) I need.


I imported images in a way that it created a folder outside of my main folder even though on the hard drive it was in the same folder as the rest. OOPS!


I wasn't able to re-create the problem. But there is a solution:


You can right click the folder that ended up outside of the main folder and click on "add Parent Folder" and it will automatically add it to the parent folder.











Not only does this keep things organized but if by accident Lightroom loses track of all you images you can just re-link the main folders.

No comments: