Sunday, March 1, 2009

Tethering....

I have been wanting to tether my camera with my laptop using Lightroom and yesterday I had my opportunity.

And I would like to say WOW.

Up until now I have been using Bridge to view the images as my cameras software downloaded the images to my computer as I shot. It was workable but not efficient. I would look at the image in Bridge then if I wanted to show my client a better version I would open in Photoshop, color correct, crop, and usually add a simple curve. That all took a bit of time and my client would be over my shoulder waiting.....


But with Lightroom, you have Bridge and Photoshop all wrapped into one, plus more.

A quick rundown (you want to know exactly how email me or call) :


1. Using the camera software I would direct the image to a folder called "watchedfolder" - no changes to file name or any other changes.


2. I would have Lightroom set to auto import (watching the folder "watchedfolder"). This would move, rename the file, and add all my metadata. After the first shot I would Crop the image as I envisioned and do a custom white point. I would save that as preset (only the white point and crop) and then go back to my auto import setting and tell it to add that preset. Now for the remainder of that shoot it would crop, color correct, add my metadata, and change file name without me doing a thing.

3. On the next interior shot all I would have to do is take the shot, make any changes like crop and white point and then update the preset. From that shot on it would use the new preset as it auto imported.


Go Lightroom!

No comments: