Monday, April 21, 2008

Vector masks and few thoughts on printers

Please email me if you have any photoshop or Epson questions. I will post the answers the following week. paul@weinrauchphotography.com

Photoshop tip(these are PC, I will add the MAC shortcuts soon):

Filling a layer mask. I have found several ways of doing this.

1. shift f5> and changing the "use:" to black, white, 50% gray, etc...

but then I found a quicker way when just using black to hide... DUH!
2. After you add the vector mask if you press ctrl-I it will invert it the color (so if it is white it will turn black, black to white)

but then even quicker....
3. hold down alt and click on add vector mask and it will automatically be in black

and another way after you add the vector mask
4. pressing the keys alt + del will add whatever color your foreground color is.


Epson printer tips:

1. Always do a nozzle check, everyweek. My epson 4800 may go 3-4 weeks, sometimes more, without having an image printed in it. I have found that by doing a nozzle check every week my printers are less likely to get clogged and very rarely get a really bad clog. And when my epson 4800 gets clogged severly it may cost me $15-30 in ink everytime.

2. Should you leave your printer on all the time? This isn't an easy answer. It depends on your printer and what model. I own an Epson 3800 and an Epson 4800. I have found through trial and error that my heads clog on my Epson 4800 clog more when I keep it on and my 3800 clogs less when I leave it on. A forum that I am part of goes both ways on this question. So start paying attention to your printer.

3. Spray your print!!!! I use Hahnemule protective spray. Test it yourself. I sprayed a print after 24 hours, then let it stand for an hour and then.... I tried to destroy it. I put it under water, until it was soaked, and then tried to smudge it with my fingers. I let it dry and it looked nearly perfect.

Until next week!!!

No comments: